Thursday, January 9, 2014

One Person's Trash Truly Is Another's Treasure...

My sister called me one day a few weeks ago, and asked if I wanted a mirror that someone she knew had picked up on trash day in an upscale neighborhood. Before I could even answer, she said "Free is good!" I agree. Free is not only good; it's great! I took the orphaned mirror in,and below is the result.







I know, I know - I don't have a before picture here. I have definitely learned my lesson on this issue! However, I will share with you that my goal for this project was to lighten it up and completely change the look of the piece. I used a wash of Annie Sloan Duck Egg chalk paint over the original dirty brown/bronze color; then I aged it with a wash of French Linen chalk paint. The next step was the simplest - I took a stiff bristled brush and used silver leaf Rub-N-Buff on the high relief carving at the corners and in the center of the frame, as well as on the inner frame surrounding the mirror. Voila! It was finished within 2 hours and I had a new piece! 

The moral of the story is, don't overlook any piece; as long as you have imagination, you can remake it into something that anyone might love to showcase in their home! There are more of these trash to treasure stories that will be shared in the near future!

This mirror is for sale on our online shop.




No comments:

Post a Comment